The Need in Sunnyvale is Greater Than Ever
People don’t usually associate Sunnyvale with poverty or people in need, but these figures prove otherwise.
- We helped 6,981 of our neighbors last year with food or financial aid, equal to 5% of the population of Sunnyvale.
- 96% of our clients have extremely low to low incomes, making under 200% of the federal poverty levels.
- Sunnyvale rents have increased 34% in just two years! Average Sunnyvale rental figures as of June: (source: RealFacts Online)
- 1 Bedroom apartment: $1,792, (up from $1,323 in 2010)
- 2 Bedroom apartment: $1,924 (up from $1,492 in 2010)
- The cost of food is rising dramatically, impacting everyone, especially families and seniors. In the past 6 months basic staples have skyrocketed: (source: Second Harvest Food Bank)
- Peanut butter is up 66%
- Rice is up 9%
- Eggs are up 7%
- Tuna is up 134%
- Beans are up 32%
- The Second Harvest Food Bank’s 2012 Hunger Index reports that this year, we continue to have 25% of residents in Santa Clara County at risk of hunger. Low-income households are being squeezed financially, with money spread thin across necessities like housing, clothing, and medical bills. Too often people have little money left for food, which means more food assistance is needed.
It’s a perfect storm for low-income families and seniors.
Unfortunately, a growing number of our neighbors are one bill away from homelessness. With rents and gas prices soaring, many low-wage employees can’t afford to live here or commute to work here. That means businesses and services in Sunnyvale will suffer.
Our slogan, “Our business is booming, and that’s not good!” is more true today than ever before!
With your help, SCS is here to help. Our city of Sunnyvale is truly the “heart” of Silicon Valley. With the generous support of our community, Sunnyvale Community Services will never turn away an eligible client who needs food or emergency financial assistance. Thank you for your continuing support of our mission to prevent homelessness and hunger!
Executive Director, Sunnyvale Community Services
725 Kifer Road, Sunnyvale, CA 94086
Monday - Friday
9:00 - 11:30 AM | 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
1st / 3rd Saturdays: 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Please bring your donation to the side (warehouse) door. If it is not open, please ring the bell and someone will come and open the door.
Important: Please note that we do not accept used items, or packaged food donations that are opened or past their expiration date. Thank you!
Founded in 1970, Sunnyvale Community Services is an independent, nonprofit emergency assistance agency. Our mission is to prevent homelessness and hunger for low-income families and seniors facing temporary crises. We provide financial aid, food, and other support that prevents larger problems with more expensive solutions.