Volunteer - Other Ways to Get Involved
Exposing children to the concept of giving back is very important to many families and to SCS. Please note, however, that our warehouse environment does not accommodate volunteer experiences for children younger than 16.
We do encourage the following family activities which are very helpful to SCS and can stimulate great conversation and discovery for you and your children. See our wish list page for specific donation needs. Feel free to bring your children with you when you donate items to SCS.
- Monthly family shopping trips to purchase items specifically for an SCS donation
- Establish a relationship with a local retailer to pick up damaged food, cleaning products, toilet paper, or other staple household items on a regular basis.
- Collect hotel/motel toiletries while traveling or on vacation. We distribute hygiene kits that include: toothpaste, shampoo, soaps, lotions, and disposable razors to low-income and homeless clients.
- Buy new books for low-income children. Feel free to wrap them and include a personal note (first names only please).
- Buy new socks and/or gloves for the homeless. Feel free to wrap them and include a personal note (first names only please).
Join the SCS Auxiliary!
Soon after Sunnyvale Community Services began in 1970, a group of women gathered to see how they could support our programs, and that began the Sunnyvale Community Services Auxiliary. For years, they have raised funds for the agency by creating handicrafts, knitting, crocheting, and lots of quilting. The tradition lives on as the Auxiliary host two events each year: a Spring Tea and a fall Holiday Boutique.
If you would like to use your crafting talents to benefit SCS, join our Auxiliary! We meet on Thursdays at 10:00 AM at SCS. For more information, please contact email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maintenance and Facilities
Our building and other assets are always in need of maintenance, repair and improvement. If you have construction, handyman, landscaping, auto repair or related skills and are looking for a short-term volunteer project, please contact Carolyn Alexander, Director of Operations, to discuss current facilities needs which may match your skills.
Community Holiday Center
The SCS Community Holiday Center is a Sunnyvale tradition which happens the first two weeks of December. Our warehouse is transformed into a virtual North Pole for our clients, allowing them the dignity of “shopping” for a two-week supply of food, new gifts for infants through teens, and a gift for every household (towels, blankets, basic kitchen items).
Over 600 volunteers move tons of food and supplies, sort food and toys, stock shelves, escort clients, accept and pick up donations, and staff the reception area. The Holiday Center utilizes group volunteers and individuals who are already volunteering in some capacity with SCS.
Helping with our food distribution program throughout the year is the best way to get involved in the Holiday Center.
Questions About Volunteering?
Contact: SCS Volunteer Manager
408.738.4321 ext. 211
725 Kifer Road, Sunnyvale, CA 94086
Monday - Friday
9:00am - 11:30am | 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
1st / 3rd Saturdays: 9:00 AM - Noon